Find out more about Field Service Management Software - FSM
What is Field Service Management Software - FSM?
Field service management (FSM) software enables companies to easily supervise their employee activities, trace vehicles, schedule work, dispatch technicians, support driver safety, and integrate with inventory and other back-office solutions. This software is highly popular among field service companies because they can help to reduce costs and boost efficiency. Businesses can use the system to access customer data, manage orders easily, and do route planning at an affordable cost. FSM software is normally used by companies that focus on handling installs, repairs, and services of work equipment. You can use our list of top FSM applications to find a suitable tool for your requirements and don't forget to take a good look at our current category leader ProntoForms.
Most Popular Field Service Management Software - FSM
Best Field Service Management Software - FSM
How To Choose The Best Field Service Management Software
A wide variety of vendors offer field service management (FSM) applications and there are different online systems that address the needs of different business sizes, from small maid service and pest control companies to global biggies in industries such as manufacturing and communications. This buyer’s guide can help you navigate this complex market and select the best field service management software for your needs.
Get to know each product with free trial
It is a good idea to register for the free trial of leading apps to learn about their list of features. The free trial period will give enough time to check how the product can boost your business. To start, you can sign up for the free trials of the following FSM apps that have received a high SmartScore and user satisfaction rating to discover the best field service management software for enterprises or SMBs: GeoOp, HouseCall Pro, Wintac, Jobber, and GoSpotCheck.
Most buyers of field service software fall into the following main categories:
- Direct buyers – These are companies that maintain their own field service unit. They have relatively simple needs that can be met by a wide range of vendors.
- Contract buyers – These are companies that contract out their work. Such companies have special needs for passing work requests, and tracking request fulfillment and customer satisfaction.
- Small businesses – These companies look to move beyond spreadsheets and Microsoft Outlook, and wish to add FSM features for planning orders and monitoring customer satisfaction.
- Large enterprises – These buyers have multiple fleets of field employees, and they wish to integrate data information across units and with the customer support department.
What are Examples of Field Service Management Software?
- GeoOp: GeoOp provides a complete workforce management app for small business as well as big companies. It is a time-saving solution that is designed to improve workflow.
- HouseCall Pro: HouseCall Pro helps services professionals operate their business on their smartphone and a web portal.
- mHelpDesk: mHelpDesk is an all-in-one system for service management that operates smoothly on tablets, smartphones, and desktops.
- Wintac: It is an all-in-one field service management system designed solely for service contractors.
- GoSpotCheck: GoSpotCheck helps users to collect real-time information and make an instant analysis to facilitate smart decision-making.
Types of Field Service Management (FSM) Software
The following are popular types of FSM software:
- Best-of-breed standalone FSM systems for fleet management, dispatch, and field workforce optimization processes.
- End-to-end FSM suites that include all the key features.
- Field mobility solutions for enterprises and small and medium-sized companies, as well as those focused on a single industry.
Key Features of Field Service Management (FSM) Software
The following core features are common in best FSM software solutions:
- Project management – Helps to manage projects from start to completion
- Voice-generated customer appointment reminders – Customers can be reminded on time for their appointments
- RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) Management – Helps to manage and authorize return merchandise
- Failure analysis – You can analyze the causes of failure and take corrective steps for future success
- Forecasting and reporting – These features help in forecasting as well to generate insightful reports
- Partner management – You can manage and collaborate with all your partners
- Contract management – Manage your project contracts easily
- Parts inventory management – Helps to handle parts inventory effectively to ensure there is enough stock at all times
- Route planning – You can your routes in advance to reach your clients well in time for the appointment
- Dispatching – Dispatch agents in time so that they are punctual for the appointment
- Resource scheduling – Schedule and plan your resources for optimal utilization
- SLA compliance tracking – Makes sure your operations are compliant with the Service Level Agreement (SLA) policies
- Order management – Helps to manage and fulfill orders easily and successfully
- Trouble ticketing – Customers can raise tickets that can be forwarded to agents for speedy resolution
- Mobile support – Mobile apps to help your workforce to be productive in the field
Benefits of Field Service Management Software
- Minimize scheduling costs – Call scheduling can result in huge costs. Manual systems typically leave big “windows” for appointments and there is plenty of time allowed between scheduled stops. FSM systems can schedule appointments more closely and minimize travel times through smart routing.
- Boost customer satisfaction – FSM systems can boost customer satisfaction in three ways: First, they can provide more precise arrival and working times for field employees. Second, they reveal the parts and tools the worker needs. Third, they allow the customer to select a convenient appointment time.
- Minimize inventory costs – FSM systems can evaluate history files to forecast which parts are likely to fail on particular schedules. Businesses can use this data to more accurately handle part inventories to minimize expenses.
- Lower fuel costs – FSM solutions make use of smart route planning and calculate the most efficient way for sales reps to travel to their appointments. This dramatically reduces mileage and fuel expenses.
The following trends have been noticed in the ongoing evolution of FSM software:
- Mobile – Vendors offer mobile support for all major tablet and mobile platforms including Android, iPhone/iPad, Blackberry, and Windows Phone.
- Software as a Service (SaaS) – Cloud-based products and services are becoming popular for their many benefits and you can subscribe to avail them typically via a monthly subscription package.
- Web-based interfaces – Managers and reps can use Web-based systems to interact in the office and in the field. Internet-based tools also allow partners to access the FSM systems and even enable customers to fix their own appointments.
- Consolidation of customer support – Vendors are offering more features directly in support software and CRM. For instance, Microsoft Dynamics CRM allows agents to create a trouble ticket, fix an appointment, create an order, and send a rep. After the rep completes the work, the order is closed, and the ticket is closed.
Two issues can reduce the effectiveness of FSM software:
- First, reps can be over-scheduled, which reduces their efficacy and job satisfaction level, and also reduces customer satisfaction as appointments may be missed.
- The second issue is typical of business software: FSM systems need to be properly implemented and adopted for companies to realize their true benefits.
Tips to Select the Right Field Service Software
Whether you opt for an end-to-end service management solution or seek to integrate best-of-breed systems, follow the below steps to select the right FSM solution(s) for your needs:
- Prioritize: Be clear about the processes you wish to automate and improve. Then, start investigating the products that meet all your needs. Consult front-line and back office staff who will be using the new system.
- Requirements: Which features are likely to deliver key benefits to your company? Do not be influenced by the gimmicky ‘bells and whistles’ offered by the vendor.
- Expertise: Select a vendor who has a proven track record in your particular industry. Go online and check out references and customer feedback to learn more about a vendor.
- Make a shortlist: Create a shortlist of three vendors and arrange for detailed demos of the packages. Try out their free trial plans to gauge how an app can suit your business processes.
- Integration: The app should smoothly integrate with the other systems you use. Many software solutions offer software development kits and APIs to make integration easier and quicker.
- Planning: Make realistic plans about how much time it will take for the system to be fully functional and effective, and the amount of involvement needed from your team. Proper planning from the start can lead to the effective implementation and usage of a more robust solution in the long term.
- Support: The vendor should provide reliable support to help with implementation and on-boarding, and to promptly resolve any issues that may arise.
- Supplier stability: The vendor should have a product development team dedicated to creating new software releases which can make sure the system stays effective and scalable to meet the demands of future business growth.
We hope reading this buyer’s guide has helped you understand the complexities of the FSM software market. Be clear about your business needs and do not get taken in gimmicky software features. Try out the free trials of your shortlisted apps to select a suitable one for your company.
List of Field Service Management Software - FSM Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
Our platform makes use of our innovative SmartScore™ system to analyze all the products in the Field Service Management Software - FSM category to help you decide on the best possible software. It compares and contrasts the following factors: individual components, collaboration possibilities, customization, integrations with other services, how easy a software is to use and learn, help & support, how secure a software is, support for mobile devices, general media ratings. As of now, ProntoForms is the leader in this category and our experts are really satisfied with it. Following thorough evaluation it had the best results among its competitors and we strongly suggest that you consider it as one of the choices for your company.
User Satisfaction Read More
An overview of overall user satisfaction with the services in our Field Service Management Software - FSM category calculated using our unique algorythm that finds customer reviews, comments and opinions across a wide set of social media platforms to help you make an informed investment decision.
Pricing Read More
Every vendor in the Field Service Management Software - FSM category will offer a different set of pricing plans for its app and each package will include a unique group of elements. Below we list the overal pricing for the most affordable plan offered for each product. Please note that advanced features may cost extra.
Devices Supported Read More
An overview of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by the listed B2B tools in the Field Service Management Software - FSM category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Find out what languages and geographies are served by the top B2B apps in the Field Service Management Software - FSM category, including spftware designed for international markets and prepared for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Examine which pricing plans are offered by the vendors in the Field Service Management Software - FSM category to check which one suits your business needs and expenses best. Keep in mind that specific services can offer free or freemium accounts for you to test first.
Customer Types Read More
An analysis of what groups of customers a specific B2B service in the Field Service Management Software - FSM category is designed for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.
Deployment Read More
An overview of what kinds of product deployement are provided by every B2B vendor in the Field Service Management Software - FSM category. Even though most of modern SaaS solutions are cloud-hosted there are solutions may offer an on-site deployment model too.