Find out more about Agile Project Management Software
What is Agile Project Management Software?
Agile project management software helps users to execute complex projects in an intuitive and time-effective manner. It creates suitable deadlines according to the project details you submit in the software and you do not have to depend on inaccurate guesses. Furthermore, you can link interdependent tasks to view the complete picture and make sure your teams complement, and not contradict, their deliverables. Visual tickers are a common project management software feature. Plus, it is easy to identify problems and possibilities and restructure your procedures and resources according to the changing situations. Regardless of what project you may be involved in, agile project management software can ensure you achieve your objectives. Read our reviews of the leading apps in this category to discover more about agile project management software and check out our current leader Wrike.
Most Popular Agile Project Management Software
Best Agile Project Management Software
How To Choose The Best Agile Project Management Software
There are many good agile project management software systems in the market. Selecting a suitable app for your needs is thus a hard task. You can start by first defining your business needs. Then, browse FinancesOnline.com’s list of top agile project management systems. We help you out with this buyer’s guide that informs you about what to look for in the best Agile Project Management Software for enterprises and SMBs.
Get to know each product with free trial
You can start your selection process by browsing the apps that have the highest SmartScore in the agile project management category. These systems are sure to offer high-quality features and online functionalities. The vendors offer great free trial plans that you can use to check out the software’s features and benefits. The free trial period gives you ample time to find out how the app can boost your company’s growth. We recommend you sign up for the free trials of the following apps which have received a high SmartScore and user satisfaction rating to find the best Agile Project Management software for your company: Projectplace reviews, Nutcache, and JIRA.
- Software/IT companies can use agile project management software to deliver products and projects more quickly and efficiently.
- The use of agile software extends beyond IT/software projects as businesses in marketing/advertising, construction, architecture, product development, finance, education, event planning, industrial/manufacturing and other industries also use the system.
What are Examples of Agile Project Management Software?
- JIRA: JIRA is a popular project management software for small business and large firms that is designed to help users capture, assign, and set priorities to their work.
- Nutcache: Nutcache puts efficiency in your quote to collection process, from estimates to getting paid, using productive project management features.
- Sandglaz: Sandglaz a lean project management app for agile teams. It provides a simple and intuitive interface that enables users to plan quickly and adapt as they go.
- Projectplace: Projectplace is a widely used project management solution that is packed with useful business management tools, real-time communication features, and online collaboration functions.
- Taiga: Taiga is a project management app for agile developers and project managers who want a beautiful system that makes work enjoyable.
Types of Agile Project Management Software
Agile Project Management Software Methodologies
There are three main types of agile methodologies:
- DSDM is the original agile development method. It is based on all popular agile principles. This method is most widely used in the UK.
- Scrum agile development method deals with task management within a team-based development environment. It is the most popular agile method. This is because it is easy to implement and solves many of the common management issues that have affected IT development teams.
- XP (Extreme Programming) is a radical agile methodology that focuses on the software engineering process and deals with the analysis, development, and test phases. It offers novel approaches that substantially improve the quality of the end product.
Popular Versions of Agile Project Management Software
Agile software is commonly sold as a SaaS (software as a service) and on-premise. SaaS is popular as it enables teams in diverse locations to collaborate in real time over the internet. To use an on-premise version you first need to establish an expensive intranet.
Key Advantages of SaaS software
- Minimal upfront cost
- Features and pricing terms can be scaled up or down depending on current needs
- Upgrades are regular and managed by the vendor
- The vendor offers full technical and customer support
- Data is secure as top vendors use foolproof security measures
- Setup time is quick
Key Advantages of On-premise Software
- Easily customizable for your needs
- One-time licensing expense
- You can store the data within your network
Key Features of Agile Project Management Software
The following features are essential to agile software:
Progress Visualization: This feature makes it easy to see where each team member is with their projects. Many project management apps offer visual progress tools that make it simple to identify obstacles. Make sure this feature is versatile to ensure your team is not limited by the software’s visualization structure, such as a Gantt chart.
Issue Tracking: Issue tracking works together with project visualization and allows the team to easily identify the project parts that need immediate attention, as well as the completed parts. This feature is used commonly by software development teams and helps to manage revision-related work.
Collaboration: Select suitable collaborative tools depending on the nature of your project and team. Team wikis are great for centralizing documents attached to projects on the board. This feature eliminates email chains and makes it easy to find the information you are looking for. A good agile software has robust collaboration tools. In particular, employee collaboration is vital in agile.
Estimation: Estimation tools are used by project managers to control scope creep and set accurate requirements to calculate how long an iteration takes. Project managers can gather accurate estimations to generate a base of historical data which they can use to forecast future projects. Estimation tools also help to update estimates after every release which helps project managers to meet deadlines.
Customer Portal: A customer development portal helps project managers carry out software walkthroughs, and customers can use it to provide detailed feedback based on which actionable tasks can be planned. Developments teams benefit as they can ask for feedback soon after a release.
Project Portfolio: Agile can be difficult to scale because of its focus on individual contribution and team collaboration. The amount of interdependent skill sets and moving parts can make it hard to respond quickly to change. This issue can be solved if project managers can quickly access the entire portfolio of projects. This will help them jump between projects while ensuring estimates are accurate.
Benefits of Agile Project Management Software
- Better product quality – Agile software offers excellent safeguards to ensure production of high quality products.
- Higher customer satisfaction – Agile teams keep customers engaged and involved in projects.
- Greater team morale – Employees can be part of a self-managing team that allows them to be creative and get recognition for their work.
- Increased ownership and collaboration – The development team, the scrum master, and the product collaborate closely on daily project work.
- Customized team structures – All important decisions are decided by scrum team members.
- Relevant metrics – Agile software offers relevant and accurate metrics that project teams can use to estimate project cost and time, measure performance, and make smart decisions.
- Better performance visibility – All team members have the opportunity to know about project progress at all stages.
- Improved project control – All project team members can exercise control and create better products.
- Improved project predictability – Agile software boosts predictability by offering several tools and artifacts.
- Reduced risk: Agile techniques and software reduce the chances of project failure.
Elements of a Good Agile Project Management Software
Agile software exhibit the following common characteristics:
- It is imperative for users to get actively involved
- Teams must be empowered to take decisions
- Requirements change, but the timescale is fixed
- Capture requirements at a high level; visual and lightweight
- Build small, incremental releases and iterate
- Concentrate on frequent delivery of products
- Finish each feature before going on to the next one
- Apply the 80/20 rule
- Integrate testing throughout the project lifecycle – test early and often
- It is essential for all stakeholders to collaborate and cooperate productively
Latest Trends in Agile Project Management Software
Softwareadvice.com’s Agile Project Management Software User Report – 2015 reveals the following findings which identify trends in the usage of agile software:
- 48% of surveyed project managers use agile software mainly for projects not related to software development.
- 90% of respondents said workflow tracking boosts efficiency more than any other agile feature.
- 88% of respondents said activity streams and scrum boards boost project management efficiency.
- 49% said the main challenge of using agile software is training employees to use it.
- The most commonly used agile feature is workflow tracking, which is used regularly by 95% of respondents.
Challenges in Agile Software
The following common challenges need to be tackled effectively to productively use agile software:
- It increases the workload as you need to collect and process customer feedback. The job is not restricted just to delivering software as iterating becomes most important.
- As there are many agile methodologies and frameworks, you need to experiment to find a suitable one for your needs and tailor it for your team.
- Hand holding is not possible as most agile software teams organize their work autonomously. You can’t use a massive Gantt chart to direct the team step-by-step.
- Processes and procedures can hamper productivity. You can overcome this challenge by cooperating and working together to build new processes that meet everyone’s needs.
- Communicating effectively with business owners and stakeholders is a challenge. You can solve this issue by including stakeholders in each project phase.
- Finally, it can be difficult to adapt to changes in business needs while reducing wasted effort. This challenge can be tackled by working iteratively.
We hope this buyer’s guide has adequately informed you about the pros and cons of agile project management software. Do proper research and homework to select the right app for your specific requirements.
List of Agile Project Management Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
Our review platform makes use of our innovative SmartScore™ system to examine all the products in the Agile Project Management Software category to help you choose the best possible software. It evaluates the following metrics: individual components, collaboration possibilities, customization, available integrations, simplicity, help & support, how secure a software is, support for mobile devices, media rating. Currently, Wrike is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. After thorough research and analysis it had the best results among its competitors and we strongly suggest that you consider it as one of the solutions for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
An overview of total user satisfaction with the services in our Agile Project Management Software category based on our unique algorythm that analyzes customer reviews, comments and opinions across a broad range of social media sites to help you make an educated purchase decision.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the Agile Project Management Software category will provide a different group of pricing packages for its service and each plan will include a varied set of tools. Below we list the overal pricing for the cheapest package offered for each app. Please note that advanced features may have an extra cost.
Devices Supported Read More
An overview of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by the listed B2B solutions in the Agile Project Management Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Find out what languages and countries are supported by the popular B2B services in the Agile Project Management Software category, including spftware aimed at international markets and prepared for multi-cultural teams of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Find out which pricing plans are provided by the vendors in the Agile Project Management Software category to see which one fits your business requirements and expenses best. Note that some services can provide free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
An overview of what types of clients a given B2B platform in the Agile Project Management Software category is designed for, from small businesses and non-profits to large enterprises.
Deployment Read More
A summary of what types of service deployement are supported by every B2B vendor in the Agile Project Management Software category. While almost all modern SaaS solutions are cloud-hosted some solutions might offer an on-site deployment model too.