Find out more about Enterprise Project Management Software
- What Is Enterprise Project Management Software?
- Most Popular Enterprise Project Management Software Products
- How To Choose The Best Enterprise Project Management Software
- All Enterprise Project Management Software Reviews
- Types Of Enterprise Project Management Software
- Examples Of Enterprise Project Management Software
What is Enterprise Project Management Software?
Enterprise project management (EPM) software offers businesses the features they need to competently manage both small and complex projects at an enterprise level. The app helps you to look at projects from a strategic viewpoint, and offers an option for executives to prioritize the projects and assign resources accordingly. Plus, they can decide how a project can fit into company goals and long-term objectives. EPM software vendors focus on streamlining all connected projects in order to boost effectiveness. Common features of EPM software include file sharing, internal messaging, calendars, and project portfolio management (PPM). The leading enterprise project management platform in our database is currently Clarizen, but you can also find out details about the other highly rated products in this category by reading our in-depth reviews on them.
Most Popular Enterprise Project Management Software
Best Enterprise Project Management Software
How To Choose The Best Enterprise Project Management Software
Selecting a suitable project management software for enterprises can be a hard task given the numerous good quality solutions available in the market. This buyer’s guide aims to help you by providing an overview of the features to look for and the factors to consider as you go about the selection of the best Enterprise Project Management system.
Get to know each product with free trial
Top vendors offer a free trial of their product to enable users to try out the features free of cost. This will help you to gauge how useful the online product can be for your company. We recommend you register for the free trials of our Clarizen reviews and Projectplace which have received the highest SmartScore and user satisfaction rating in the Project Management software category, and to choose the best Enterprise Project Management software for your business.
- Medium-size and growing organizations can use EPM software to manage their projects at an enterprise level.
- Large enterprises and multinational companies can use the system for the project needs of their global teams.
What are Examples of Enterprise Project Management Software?
- Clarizen: Clarizen is an enterprise-grade system for small business and big organizations that effortlessly combines robust project management with social engagement in a unique way.
- Projectplace: Projectplace offers scalable and secure features for time management, collaboration, reporting, and task management.
- Workfront: Workfront (formerly AtTask) is a popular project management solution that offers effective and scalable work management features.
- Microsoft Project: Microsoft Project is a flexible app for project portfolio management (PPM) and tasks, offered through Office 365.
- Celoxis: Celoxis is a leading project management system that can be used to manage your project portfolios, resources, timesheets, expenses, and workflows.
Types of Enterprise Project Management (EPM) Software
The following are common types of EPM software:
- Project portfolio – This type offers complex features to help companies manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Issue tracking – This type helps to closely monitor and address gaps and glitches during a project’s progress.
- Scheduling – Offers a scheduling feature such as a Gantt chart to track the timetable of a project’s deliverables.
- Integrated – This EPM software is integrated with other business apps such as collaboration and CRM tools.
- Collaborative – This software enables multiple users to read, edit and add to the project plan. All changes are automatically integrated in the system after updation.
Key Features of Enterprise Project Management Software
Project Portfolio Management (PPM): PPM is the main feature in EPM software. This module helps you to schedule and allocate your company’s resources optimally to achieve financial and operational goals. Firms that handle multiple projects need to have the ability to balance and centralize the projects and for this PPM is essential. Portfolio managers in large organizations spend most of their time on PPM systems. However, this tool needs consistent maintenance to remain effective and viable.
File Sharing: You should be able to allow users to upload and share files from within the EPM solution. Team members should be able to view and edit files to streamline information transfer. Sophisticated file sharing features include audit trails and permission settings to ensure sensitive information is kept organized and secure. If you have many employees working in the field, opt for a cloud-based solution that extends file sharing to mobile devices without limitations on location. But if data security is important to you, go for an on-premise solution even though it may have limited file sharing features.
Video Conferencing/Internal Messaging: Few vendors include video conferencing in their EPM offering. Some solutions include internal video conferencing which you can use for remote communication, but this feature is more costly than note-taking modules and internal messaging. Another tool that facilitates easy communication and collaboration is internal messaging within the EPM solution.
Calendar: Good quality EPM systems include a projects calendar that offers a monthly view of project deliverables and active projects. Some sophisticated calendar modules offer advanced features such as task individualization, resource assignment, and progress completion. Some EPM solutions allow users to create individual calendars for each team member. You can remove unnecessary data from these calendars so that team members can easily view upcoming tasks and deadlines.
Dashboards: Customizable dashboards enable you to analyze important project information. You can filter out needless data to easily access vital information. Simple dashboards can be used to view a breakdown of available resources, while more complex dashboards can be used for analysis of project value.
Mobile Access: Cloud-based EPM solutions offer mobile apps and access. This enables employees to access the system and update information from any location.
Integrations: The EPM system should easily integrate with the other business apps you use such as Microsoft Office, Skype, and Dropbox as well as with advanced applications like CRMs. This allows users to update files and attach relevant contact data to projects.
Security: Data security is an important factor and you should ensure the vendor offers measures such as profile authentication, file encryption, data backup/recovery, and secure data centers. You should be able to control the access level for each team member based on their role.
Benefits of Enterprise Project Management (EPM) Software
- The software provides complete control over your projects.
- You can track all tasks including minor ones and ensure no detail is missed.
- EPM gives you flexibility in budget and resource allocation as well as control well beyond the planning phase.
- You can use automated budgeting and billing processes to reduce errors and administrative overhead.
- You can deal with discrepancies and problems in real-time before they become major issues.
- Reduces overall costs as the software streamlines processes and improves efficiencies.
- Minimizes downtime and helps to complete projects successfully on schedule.
- You can plan, schedule, and manage even complex projects.
- Distribute resources and monitor progress
- Visualize and communicate project performance against the plan
- Conduct what-if analysis and allow alternative project plans to improve the efficiency and speed of project execution
- Schedules can be updated by multiple users simultaneously.
- The software can generate schedule and resource graphics and reports.
Important Factors to Consider
- Be clear about what work solutions and problems you wish to address with the software. Get the input of your project managers about the type of features they want to use.
- You now have a list of features as well as problems that need to be addressed. Shortlist apps that have the capabilities to meet your requirements. Check out the licensing options of these apps and read about the opt-out policies. Talk to the vendors to understand if they are capable of meeting your objectives.
- View the live demo of the EPM software to get an overview and understand the project planning and execution capabilities of the solution. Learn about its add-ins and integrations and sign up to get training.
- Read online reviews to learn about the strengths and minus points of a particular software. Contact the users and get their feedback on how the software has been useful to them.
- Ask your project managers to try out the free trials of the shortlisted apps. This will give you a good idea of how each software works and how it can help to boost your team members’ efficiency and productivity. The free trial period is usually ample enough for you to learn the advantages and drawbacks of the software.
- Get the feedback of users and learn about any concerns they may have with the software. It is important to get the buy-in of all important users so that the investment is fruitful and the solution is used effectively.
- After you buy the EPM software, introduce it officially to your team members, and conduct extensive training to help them use the solution effectively. Use the services of an expert to get answers to any questions they may have. After a few months, conduct a survey to check about the experience of users and their feedback on the software.
List of Enterprise Project Management Software Companies
Page last modified
FinancesOnline makes us of our innovative SmartScore™ method to examine all the products in the Time Tracking Software category in orded to help you decide on the best possible software. It evaluates the following factors: essential components, collaboration possibilities, customization, integration, ease of use, help & support, how secure a software is, support for smartphones and tablets, scores in other media. Currently, Clarizen is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. After extensive examination it received the best results among its competitors and we strongly suggest that you include it as one of the choices for your needs.
An overview of total user satisfaction with the service in the Time Tracking Software category evaluated with our unique algorythm that analyzes user reviews, comments and opinions across a broad set of social media platforms in order to help you make an informed buying decision.
Each vendor in the Time Tracking Software category will offer a different set of pricing plans for its service and every plan will include a varied group of tools. Below we list the general pricing for the cheapest plan offered for each app. Keep in mind that advanced features may have an extra cost.
An overview of what kind of devices and operating systems are supported by the listed B2B solutions in the Time Tracking Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Check what languages and geographies are served by the popular B2B apps in the Time Tracking Software category, including apps intended for international markets and created for multi-cultural teams of employees.
Examine which pricing plans are provided by the vendors in the Time Tracking Software category to check which one suits your business preferences and expenses best. Be aware that some services can offer free or freemium accounts for you to test first.
A brief look at what types of clients a given B2B solution in the Time Tracking Software category is designed for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.